Q. I love summer, there are so many fun things to do, longer days, fun in the sun, BUT I notice I sometimes stay up too late, spend too much time in the sun and eat more “summer food.” I am really off balance. Can you give me some summer survival tips?
A. I definitely have some suggestions that will make a big difference in your overall health, no matter what season. Here are a few:
1. SLOW DOWN – Summer has finally arrived and you feel this need to be in the sun, attend all the pool parties, drink the fun beverages and eat the hot dogs and chips. You forget to listen to your body.
2. TAKE A BATH – You can take a relaxing bath when it is sunny outside. You won’t miss a thing and your body and mind will thank you.
3. GO TO BED EARLY – Did you know that you can go to bed when it is daylight? Do you notice when your body is tired and needs sleep? Be aware of what your body needs and not on the time of day.
4. READ A BOOK – Get in your favorite chair or snuggle in the pillows with a good book. Open the windows so you can still connect with the summer day or evening.
5. STOP TECHNOLOGY – See if you can turn your phone off for a period of time. Take a break from Facebook. It will still be there, I promise you. If you are resting even sending text messages is a distraction.
6. LISTEN TO MUSIC – You can do this anywhere: on the patio, in your living room, while taking a bath, while cooking. Music really does soothe the soul.
7. EAT HEALTHY FOOD – Summer food can add on the pounds or create sluggishness if you are not careful. Plan for your summer meals. If you know you are going to a party, don’t eat heavy during the day. Or have a snack before you go so you won’t indulge and then feel bad later.
8. BE OK BEING WITH YOU – You don’t have to be with other people all of the time just because it is summer. Have you gone for a walk, roamed around an art festival, gone hiking, enjoying your own company.
Self care is a life saver. It is easily obtained with few if any side affects. So tonight, recharge your battery and make it about you!!!